There are various types of manual door locks for your home security. Some look so inviting to burglars while some are a huge discouragement. With the right door lock, you can deter burglars from breaking into your home.
Burglars work quickly, they want to get in and out of your home in a few minutes. Anything you can do to slow them down will help to thwart their plan. One way to discourage them in an instant is by using a high-quality manual door lock.
You can secure your peace of mind and home safety with the right door locks. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the most effective types of manual door locks. They will help you deter burglars and protect your home.
Let’s get started!
Factors to Consider Before Using a Manual Door Lock
Before we discuss the various types of manual door locks for your home, you need to know some important factors to consider. We’ve made a list for you:
- Security: Your home security level is an important factor to consider when choosing a manual door lock. It’s best to choose a lock that provides adequate security to keep you and your property safe.
- Durability: Your door lock is an investment. Ensure you use one that will last for a long time. Check the materials used to make the lock and its ability to resist wear and tear.
- Ease of use: The manual door lock you choose should be easy to use for you and your family members. It shouldn’t be too tough to open or close the door.
- Maintenance: Your manual door lock, like any other mechanical device, needs maintenance to keep it operational. Consider the maintenance requirements of the lock before paying for it.
- Cost: This is dependent on your budget. You want to choose a lock that provides adequate security and durability within your budget.
- Legal requirements: Some neighborhoods provide legal requirements on the type of locks you can use for specific types of doors. Contact your local authorities to ensure that the lock you choose meets the legal requirements.
Your choice of door lock should mark all ticks on the above factors.
Types of Manual Door Locks That Will Help You Discourage Burglars
No matter the door you’re locking, there are various efficient types of manual door locks for you. Here are some options for you:
1. Deadbolt locks
This is one of the most effective types of manual door locks. Many burglars get stuck when they come in contact with a deadbolt lock. These types of locks provide you with a high level of security and are designed to withstand forced entry. They make use of a thumb turn and are perfect for your exterior doors. Here are some types of deadbolt locks that are suitable for your home:
- Single-cylinder: They use a key on the exterior and a thumb turn on the interior. You can engage or disengage this type of deadbolt by turning the thumb turn.
- Double-cylinder: They require a key on both sides. This adds to your security but can also be risky in the case of an emergency. Someone without the door key can get trapped inside.
- Vertical deadbolt locks: These types of deadbolts slide up and down rather than in and out. This helps to make them more difficult to tamper with. Just like the double cylinder, they can also be risky during emergencies.
It’s important to consider all safety factors when selecting a deadbolt lock for your door.
2. Mortise locks
These types of locks are also commonly used on exterior doors. They are similar to deadbolt locks but are quite complex and difficult for burglars to break in. Mortise locks have a lock body and they make use of a latch and a deadbolt to secure your door. Mortise locks are suitable for timber doors, aluminum doors, or UPVC doors. They also come in different types, such as:
- Thumb-turn mortise locks: These locks have a thumb-turn mechanism on the interior of your door. This allows you to lock and unlock your door without using a key.
- Key-operated mortise locks: These locks use a key to lock and unlock your door. They are more secure than thumb-turn locks because they can only be operated with a key. This makes it difficult for burglars to pick the lock or gain entry without your key.
- Cylinder-operated mortise locks: These locks use a cylinder mechanism that is controlled by a key. Just like the key-operated mortise locks, they provide you with a high level of security. This makes them difficult to pick or bypass.
Padlocks, just like other types of manual door locks are effective infor securing entry points in your home. They are versatile and can be used on your gates and other outdoor systems. Padlocks also come in different types, like:
- Keyed padlocks: These padlocks are opened with a physical key that fits into your lock.
- Shrouded padlocks: These padlocks have a metal casing around the shackle. This makes it harder for burglars to cut through.
- Weatherproof padlocks: These padlocks are not only durable but are also designed to withstand exposure to elements like rain, snow, and harsh temperatures.
4. Combination locks
Another type of manual door lock that is effective for your home is a combination lock. They make use of codes or series of numbers to unlock them. So, as long as the burglar doesn’t know your code, it will be difficult for them to unlock it. Let’s show you some of the different types of combination locks.
- Dial combination locks: This type of lock has a rotating dial with numbers or letters on it. To unlock it, you’ll need to turn the dial to the correct combination of numbers or letters.
- Push button combination locks: These locks use a series of buttons instead of a dial. You can get them open by pressing the buttons in the correct sequence.
- Keypad combination locks: This type of lock uses a keypad with numbered buttons. You’ll need to enter the correct combination of numbers to unlock them.
A Professional Advice
There are diverse types of manual door locks for your home. However, it’s dependent on the type of door, what you want to keep safe and other factors we’ve listed above. If you’re confused about the type of manual door lock to use, it’s best to contact a professional.
Here in Phoenix, Alcatrazlock is the best choice for home security near you. Our skilled locksmiths are trained in door lock replacements, new lock installations, and door lock maintenance. We offer these and other lock-related services at pocket-friendly rates. If you have any questions in regards to any locksmith service, feel free to reach out to us.